How to request an advocate for a parent in a child protection case

This guide is for social workers who are seeking independent advocates to support parents in Reading whose children are subject to child protection processes.
Infographic of mother and child

Parent advocacy is for parents who would struggle (because of a learning disability, mental health problem or communication need) to navigate children’s services and the legal system.

Arranging an advocate can help a local authority meet its public sector duties under the Equality Act, to make reasonable adjustments for people with a protected characteristic, such as disability.

Reading Voice can provide advocacy for parents through processes such as Section 47 enquiries, child protection conferences, core groups and court proceedings.

The role of the advocate

  • helping the parent understand child protection processes
  • helping the parent ask professionals questions
  • getting across the parent’s point of view
  • attending meetings if the parent is unable to participate
  • going to court with the parent, helping them understand the proceedings and communicating with their appointed lawyer
  • helping the parent understand decisions made about the child’s care.

Referrals must be made by social workers or other authorised staff at Brighter Futures for Children in Reading.  We will discuss with you how many funded hours of support the parent will need.

Call Reading Voice on 07365 519 920 (a temporary number while the office is closed). If you email a request for an advocate, please include your contact number so we can call you back to check any details.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information