This article summaries essential information for people who wish to visit a friend or relative in a care home.
After concerns were raised by many members of the public about some care homes banning all visitors at various stages of the pandemic, the government has clarified what it expects in latest guidance.
What the guidance says
- every care home resident can nominate up to 3 regular visitors
- every care home resident should also be supported to have an identified ‘essential care giver’ in addition to the 3 visitors, to offer companionship or help with care needs, even during a Covid outbreak
- visits should be notified in advance, so care homes can safely manage the number of people coming at any one time
- the length of your visit should not be limited if safe visit practices can be maintained
- visits should take place in a room most practical and comfortable for the resident
- visitors should have a negative lateral flow test result