Updated 4 August 2021
A long-term Covid vaccine hub has opened at Broad Street Mall to replace the Madejski Stadium site, which closed on July 23 2021.
The Broad Street Mall vaccination centre opened on July 30, in unit 49-50, on an appointment-only basis and is running seven days a week, from 8.30am to 7.30pm. It is based where the New Look shop used to be located.
Anyone who had vaccinations previously booked in at the Madejski from the 30th, should have had their appointment rescheduled to the new venue.
Key information on Covid vaccination
- Anyone aged 18+ can book a vaccination online via the national booking service or by calling 119 free of charge between 7am and 11pm, seven days a week
- The second dose interval is being shortened from 12 weeks to 8 weeks for all adults - if you booked through the national system you can go in and rebook
- A 7-day-a-week vaccine hub opened at Broad Street Mall on July 30 to replace the Madejski Stadium mass site
- Pharmacies offering vaccines via the national booking system are: Boots in Broad St, Erleigh Rd Pharmacy, Western Elms Pharmacy, Triangle Pharmacy in Tilehurst
- Most GP-run hubs have closed except Tilehurst Village Surgery and University Health Centre
- Tilehurst Village Surgery runs a reserve list (even for people who aren't their patients) to ensure vaccines aren't wasted: find details on its Facebook page
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust, which ran the Madejski Stadium vaccine centre since February 22, is operating the new site.
Anybody who still turns up at the stadium for a vaccine will find displays signposting them to the new venue. The stadium needs the space back in anticipation of a return to larger match attendances at the home of Reading Football Club.
More than 166,000 first and second doses were given at the Madejski Stadium.