The government has announced changes to Covid testing rules, which come into effect from 11 January, 2022.
The UK Health Security Agency said the temporary changes had been brought in to keep PCR tests for people who most needed them and because rapid lateral flow tests were more than 80% effective at finding people at their most infectious.
- People WITHOUT symptoms will no longer need to confirm a positive lateral flow test with a PCR test - full details from government here
- People WITH symptoms of Covid should still take a PCR test. You can book one on the Government website here.
How to get a lateral flow test
- Try your local pharmacy for a free kit, but make sure you get a collect code first and be aware that some pharmacies have run out of kits
- Order a free test kit to be sent to your home from the NHS website - try again later if the site says none are unavailable
- Go to Reading Town Hall for a free, supervised lateral flow test, 11am-6.30pm, Mon-Sat, with no appointment needed. Or book online if you prefer.