Reading has a large Polish community who have arrived in recent years, so we spoke with 43 people from this group in October and November 2013 to understand their experience of using health services.
- 79% of people told us they had registered with a GP when arriving in the UK
- 47% had used the Reading Walk-In Centre at least once since arriving in Reading
- 41% had visited A&E at Royal Berkshire Hospital at least once in the past year
- 64% had sought healthcare on return trips to Poland, some because of dissatisfaction with the NHS
- There was low awareness of the NHS 111 telephone helpline