This report was commissioned by Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust to get independently collected feedback about its Berkshire West Urgent Community Response (UCR) service. UCR is requested by GPs, 111 and other services to ensure the person is seen at home within two hours or two days to potentially avoid going into hospital.
- Response times from the first request for help varied from under 2 hours to within a week
- People weren’t sure what to expect of UCR before the visit
- People’s understanding of the name of the service varied, including ‘rapid response’, ‘older services’ and ‘intermediate care’
- People and relatives felt the care provided was very good, from kind and caring staff
- Interventions included explanations, equipment, exercises and checks
- Some people didn’t remember the visit (possibly because of dementia)
- Some people or relatives didn’t know what was going to happen when UCR support ended